To all my Southern California friends, take some time this week and drive to Lake Elsinore (Inland Empire) because the Super bloom of Poppies are a magical sight you don’t want to miss!
Thanks ABC 7 LA for the heads up because I have never seen a super bloom or have ever been to a Poppy field and let me tell you I felt like I was Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz…it was just a beautiful sight I will always remember.
I overheard that last year, the Super Bloom only lasted a week or two so make that drive, it is totally worth it.
HOW TO GET TO THE POPPIES?
- On your GPS or WAZE look up the location
Walker Canyon Road, Lake Elsinore
- The Exit will be LAKE St. but you will definitely see it from the freeway plus cars because everyone is stopping to take some photos.
- To get to the bulk of flowers where you feel surrounded by them requires some hiking so wear comfortable shoes and be careful.
- DO NOT STEP ON THE FLOWERS
It took me about 40 mins from Brea/La Habra area and I left around 11am. I suggest getting there around that time because afterwards it got super crowded and the traffic on the freeway heading in that direction was stop & go.
MORE INFO FROM CITY OF LAKE ELSINORE
- The best viewing area is Walker Canyon Trail. Exit the I-15 at Lake St. to access parking along Walker Canyon Rd. A Community Services Officer (CSO) will be on site Saturdays and Sundays 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. to assist with traffic. Parking is available 7 days per week.
NO PARKING IS ALLOWED ALONG LAKE STREET. NO STOPPING ALONG ROADWAYS AT ANY TIME.
- Parallel Parking only.
Turn Around Areas are established in certain areas on Walker Canyon (no parking in these areas). Parking is at your own risk. Please use the map below to locate parking and the trail head. Use caution while hiking and pay attention to posted signs.
- Hashtags to use: #SuperBloom #LakeElsinore
Through the dancing poppies stole a breeze, most softly lulling to my soul.John Keats